I am sure you all despise clutter and junk that accumulates around the house. You clean and clean and it just seems to come back. It never wants to go away. I am going to fill you in on some of my clutter/junk tips to help take away clutter/junk and keep it away.
First, we need to know where clutter comes from before we can figure out how to get rid of it. Clutter mostly comes from your partner or the others in your home. Funny but true! Let us use our partners as an example. Your partner is on his/her way home. On their way home, they grab the mail before they get to the door. When they open the door, they throw the keys on the dinner table, take their shoes and socks off at the door, and then throw the mail on the coffee table or the dinner table. They walk to the room, take their clothes off, and toss their clothes on the ground or on the bed. After that, they walk to the dresser and toss their watch or accessories. After a long day of work, your partner is knocked out on the bed; and you do not want to yell at them or else you suffer the consequences of getting into a huge argument of how heartless you are to complain about their mess when they are extremely exhausted. Therefore, my friends we have to find ways to work around that mess. We obviously know that is not the only way clutter/junk accumulates.
Let us now learn how to avoid it. TIME is most important when it comes to clutter/junk. Time is the major key. We constantly are complaining about time when all we have is time. We are in charge of the clock. What we do with our time is what matters. We complain, complain, and say there is no time! However, my friends there is time! We just need to know how to organize our time to make our life easier. If you think about it when we do not make time for the little things, we do not have time for the bigger things. Those bigger things were little things that became bigger because we never made time for the little things. Sounds repetitive but its true! (I am taking a deep breath)
So let us repeat our partner’s day but fix it up a bit, so we can make a smaller mess not turn into a bigger mess. Your partner is on his/her way home. On their way home, they grab the mail before they get to the door. They open the door with their keys, and hang the keys on the key hook by the door. Then they take their shoes and socks off at the door, pick the socks and shoes up and walk to the laundry room to put them on the shelf where they belong. After putting the shoes away, your partner then pulls out the mail from under his arm and quickly goes through the mail making sure to throw away the junk mail only keeping the real mail, which goes into a little basket or drawer to look at later. Finally, they walk to their room, take their clothes off, and hang them right away, where they belong. If they are wearing any accessories like watches, they can go in a specific place like a jewelry box or a watchcase. All that took the same amount of time that it took them to toss there stuff in random places saving you a huge mess to clean later which then saves you TIME! MAYBEEEE it took 2 minutes longer. I
I am sure many of you have more than just that mess to clean up. That is a great example of how clutter can easily be avoided.
Other tips that really help and save time:
- Organize your home to make things easier to put away.
- Have a specific basket for mail put in a corner somewhere or under a coffee table.
- Always take things out of their original packages/boxes and organize them in containers, canisters, or jars. Ex: cookies, tea, sugar, and coffee.
- Do not keep free keychains or free items in your home; it is a disaster of clutterness and junk waiting to happen. Ex: mugs, keychains, Frisbees, and PENS!
- Do not be a Tupperware hoarder! Do not keep every container you get from restaurants from your leftover food, deli meat containers, or yogurt containers. Buy matching good glass quality containers that last longer. If you have the space, keep a specific cabinet for them.
- Organize your spice rack with the spices you always use and label the rest and keep a cabinet just for spices.
- Keep pantry closet organized by using containers for cookies, chocolate, rice, pasta, etc. Keeps food more fresh and organized.
- Buy a mini vacuum to clean up mini messes that you plan to leave for later to clean because chances are you will forget and it gets worse or gross.
- Specific baskets for laundry like one for color, whites, and towels.
- Do not put random things in small linen closets. Keep your linen closet specifically for its purpose, which is for all kinds of towels, sheets, and other articles used for the home.
- Keep bathroom cabinets specific to bathroom belongings only. Do not keep other things in there.
- Have a key hook next to the door.
- Buy a shoe shelf
- Organize one room at a time when cleaning to keep it more under control and faster to finish cleaning instead of overwhelming yourself with everything at once.
- Make specific parts for your kitchen. Ex: Make a coffee/tea area only for coffee/tea, sugar and creamer.
- When clearing out the dishwasher, make a habit of leaving the random things for last because the random miscellaneous items frustrate you. Ex: measuring cups, whisks, caps, and bottles. Those are the things we usually stuff anywhere. Keep a place for those miscellaneous items.
- Stack pots and pans big to small and keep it strictly pots and pans. Nothing else!
- Have a drawer or cabinet just for cutting boards.
- Always have enough hangers. When there is not enough hangers, forces you to throw them on the ground or somewhere random for when you find a hanger.
- Color coding clothes always helps too
- Always stay on top of things to avoid cleaning a larger mess later.
- Keep Clorox wipes and soap in all bathrooms and any other place that you clean.
- Never leave items in wrapping. Ex: toilet paper and paper towels. When you do keep them like that, it creates a mess because they are all over the place and not put away.
- If you have the space, hang most of your clothes because it causes less clutter in the drawers and keeps clothes less wrinkled.
- Make sections in your closet for handbags, pants, shirts.
- Keep fridge organized at all times. Make sure you look at dates on food and section items together. Ex: cheeses, fruit, vegetables. You can always buy certain containers for your fridge to help organize. Do not keep vegetables in their bags; it looks chaotic and messy in your fridge.
- Keep a closet for cleaning supplies or use part of your laundry room.
- Do not store things under your bed.
- Do not make a habit of putting random things in mini drawers.
- DO NOT KEEP CONDIMENTS OR NAPKINS FROM MCDONALDS, BURGER KING, OR ANY OTHER FAST FOOD RESTAURANT. PLEASE!
*Hope this helps with getting rid of clutter and junk. Please comment below if you tried my tips and if it worked!